Monday, August 13, 2007

DNA Results For MacMillan Family Tree

With over 200 variations in the spelling of MacMillan (mine being McMillin) I could inadvertently overlook a possible family member when reading genealogy data, so I opted to participate in the MacMillan DNA Project. I elected to go for the 67 marker kit rather than update later from the 37 or 12 marker kits.

The results of my DNA are now available to anyone in the world with a computer. Most likely and hopefully, it will be a MacMillan (any spelling) who contacts me to say his or her DNA matches closely, or even exactly to mine. If so, that person is likely a close relative. So far, there have been no hits, but my data was only posted in early August 2007.

Meanwhile, David, the Group Administrator, wrote something encouraging. He said:

"You've been added to Group 22. There is another set of results in the group which is a very close match (65/67) to your results. Unfortunately, the only information I have concerning the participant at this time is that the last name is McMillin, same as yours. I've asked the adminstrator of the North American McMillian Surname Project to give the fellow a shout and see if we can open up a dialogue with him.

The odds are that you two share a common ancestor somewhere in the last 150 - 210 years (5-7 generations)."


If you understand how the DNA marker matches work and wish to compare to mine, my kit number is 94663. You can learn more by clicking here: http://www.familytreedna.com/default.aspx

I still do not know how to read and apply the data but I'm learning. It sure would be exciting to learn of someone now or in the past who is a direct descendant of my McMillin Family Tree.

5 Comments:

At August 15, 2007 at 4:06 AM , Blogger Yoav said...

Hi Leroy,


I am a representative of www.famillion.com. Our website is a place that connects different people around the world, by using a unique algorithm that identifies genealogical matches and notifies users once there is an overlap between family trees. Our goal is to gather as many people as possible, and connect the entire world through family ties.



I came across your webpage and found some great features and information about Genealogy and Family Trees. Your site harvests a great and very profound deal with the subject. We believe that our website has exactly what you are looking to offer on the genealogy page, and would highly appreciate it if you consider posting our link on your site. I will personally assist you with any piece of information you will need in order to write about us in your blog.



Please consider our request, and visit us at www.famillion.com to find out more about our break-through patented technology in the genealogy field.



You can also read more about us at:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070730/ukm019.html?.v=75

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/41744e4c-ea24-11db-91c7-000b5df10621.html

http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-oKr4rtE_dLIPJ.64cW8g7t4-?cq=1&p=70
http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/news_press_release,148619.shtml

http://mashable.com/2007/07/30/famillion

Your prompt reply is kindly welcome,

Yoav.

 
At December 12, 2008 at 10:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, i'm not sure if you still check this.
I haven't done the DNA test to see if i am actually related to you, but I can't imagine us not being related, my name is Rae McMillin. I don't know anything about my family history, which is why i'm looking it up. My father's name is James Andrew, son of Andrew McMillin, son of... well i'm not sure. but i'm hoping to find something.

 
At December 12, 2008 at 10:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, also. I reside in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.

 
At December 27, 2009 at 2:55 PM , Blogger Blueiceberg said...

Hi, I am a McMillin and don't know much about the Family or who I am related to. Would like to know more and if we are related. I have never met anyone except my father with the same spelling. Here is my E-mail address. McMillin76@yahoo.com or JosephMc76@mocospace.com # is 503-847-6797 I am Joseph.
Hope to hear from you! ;)

 
At May 2, 2011 at 8:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I guess its been a while, I don't really remember writing this. wasn't sure if your email was still the same.
-Rae

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home